Come for the golf, stay for the St. Patrick's Day celebrations at Ashford Castle, set on 350 acres in Ireland's County Mayo on the shores of Lough Corrib and the River Cong, with a spectacular backdrop of woodlands, lake, river, and mountains.
Ashford Castle is offering a "Green with Envy" package for St. Patrick's Day, from March 12 until March 19, 2010 (US $1,076) in a Corrib Standard room with glorious lake view, ilncluding:
- breakfast daily
- an Emerald Phyto Body Treatment for two
- cooking demonstration
- Guinness pouring with the chef
- St. Patrick's Day "Pot of Gold" treasure hunt
- "Long Puck" hurling competition and other games
- boat trip to the Isle of Inchagoill
- visit St. Patrick's 5th-century church Templepatrick
- Bellinis on the house
- The Quiet Man movie, a classic filmed in part at Ashford Castle
Dating to 1228, Ashford Castle has 83 luxurious rooms and suites, an equestrian center, fly fishing, a beautiful nine-hole golf course, Ireland's first school of falconry and sporting clay shooting. Guests can also arrange to play golf at other world-famous courses in the area, such as Connemara, Carne, Enniscrone and Sligo. Donegal, Rosapenna, Portsalon, Ballyliffin, Castlerock, Portstewart and Royal Portrush.
Founder/editor of BestGolfResortsofTheWorld.com, Karen Misuraca is a travel and golf writer from the California Wine Country. She follows the little white ball around the world and blogs about International Golf Travel at www.examiner.com. And, she also maintains a blog on Sustainable Travel.