The new “Troon Values Your Time” program encourages awareness of pace-of-play standards that help your round move along efficiently, making it enjoyable for everyone, not just for your Uncle Jake who hits the fairways only once a year.
Time Par – Each Troon facility calculates its own Time Par by evaluating the appropriate length of time a golfer should comfortably play and enjoy the course. That Time Par is communicated to customers when booking their tee-time and in displays in the pro shop, on staff uniforms, on scorecards, yardage books, and on signage throughout the property. Yea!
- At the Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort and Spa and the Club at Savanna Harbor, the Time Par is 4 hours and 15 minutes.
- At the Makai Golf Club at Princeville, it’s 4 hours and 18 minutes; and at Indian Wells Golf Resort Celebrity Course, it’s 4 hours and 33 minutes.
Pacesetter Times – Troon facilities are also implementing Pacesetter Times, which are designated morning tee times reserved for players committed to playing in at least 20 minutes under the facility’s Time Par. Get out there early and go for it!
- Play Your Tees: choose a set of tees with a rating of 142 minus your handicap index; or just tee it forward. Real men play from tees that match their abilities.
- Play Ready Golf (tee to green): at your ball or on the tee box and ready to play . . . . hit the darned thing! Take no more than 45 seconds to hit your shot.
- Be Cart Smart: drop off your partner and drive to your ball. When you leave the cart, take three clubs, not one. Park behind greens.
- Use Rules with Discretion: take no more than 3 minutes to look for balls and take relief. This is not the PGA Tour.
- Keep Moving: proceed quickly to your ball, choose your club and be ready when it’s your turn to hit.
- See It, Read It, Hole It: while others are putting, prepare for your putt, putt it and go on to the next tee.
- Be Accountable: slow play isn’t just the fault of other players. The faster you play, the sooner you get to the 19th hole.
Founder/editor of BestGolfResortsofTheWorld.com, Karen Misuraca is a travel and golf writer from the California Wine Country. She blogs golf travel and writes about Deep Culture Travel. Check out Karen's new iPhone app, California Coast North.