A magical chain of museums is waiting to be discovered along and nearby the U.S. 395 corridor in the Eastern Sierras. This year through September, seventeen of the museums, historic sites and interpretive centers are participating in a series of lectures and exhibits focused on "Women of Eastern California", featuring native and pioneering women from throughout the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.
Among the museums in the Eastern Sierras:
- the two fabulous museums at Furnace Creek in Death Valley: the National Park Visitor's Center museum and discovery center, and the charming Borax museum in the heart of the Ranch at Furnace Creek showcasing a pictorial history and hundreds of artifacts such as antique stagecoaches, mining tools and a railroad steam locomotive--this is the oldest structure in Death Valley.
- Mammoth Ski Museum: 500 years of the sport and culture of skiing in the largest private collection of fine art and literature related to the sport. And, amazing vintage posters on display and on sale.
- Eastern California Museum (established in 1928!) and bookstore: a large collection of artifacts, photos, books and more, from dinosaur bones to Native American baskets to pioneer saddles and the history of the Sierra's mountaineers.
- Manzanar Historic Site: did you know that the Manzanar War Relocation Center was one of 10 camps where Japanese American citizens and resident Japanese aliens were interned during World War II? a fascinating introduction through oral history, and printed documents and photos. “We had about one week to dispose of what we owned, except what we could pack and carry for our departure by bus…for Manzanar.” William Hohri
- The Beverly and Jim Rogers Museum of Lone Pine Film History
- Laws Railroad Museum and Historic Site
- Mammoth Lakes Rangers Station & Welcome Center
- Maturango Museum of the Indian Wells Valley
- Mono Basin Historical Society/Old School House Museum
- Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area Visitor Center
- U.S. Naval Museum of Armament & Technology
- Timbisha-Shoshone Tribe
Karen Misuraca is the author of several guidebooks to California, including Backroads of the California Wine Country; the new book, Backroads of the California Coast and the newly released 7th edition of Quick Escapes from San Francisco.